A Japanese journalist held hostage by Islamist militants for 40 months left for Japan from Turkey on Wednesday after being freed and said he was happy to be going home.
Jumpei Yasuda, a 44-year-old freelance journalist who was reported to have been captured by an al Qaeda affiliate after entering Syria from Turkey in 2015, was released a day earlier after three years in captivity.
Japanese diplomats in Turkey earlier confirmed that the released man was Yasuda, and Japan’s foreign minister said the journalist would be brought home as soon as possible.
Speaking to Reuters on board a flight from Antakya in southern Turkey en route to Istanbul, from where he flew back to Tokyo, Yasuda said he did not know what the future held for him.
“I am happy that I can return to Japan. At the same time, I don’t know what will happen from here or what I should do,” he said. “I am thinking about what I need to do.”
He also said he had not spoken Japanese for 40 months and was struggling to find the right words.
In an earlier video released by Turkish officials, Yasuda gave thanks for his freedom and said he was safe.
“My name is Jumpei Yasuda, Japanese journalist. I have been held in Syria for 40…
- Watch: Trump was like a 'little wet noodle' during Putin press conference - Schwarzenegger
- Hunters are no longer reporting illegalities, FKNK says
- Today's front pages - August 21, 2018
- Obama, Bush to eulogise former political foe McCain at cathedral service
- Two million risk hunger after drought in Central America - UN
- Police get first ever collective agreement, shorter week and a pay rise
- Motorcyclist grievously injured
- Tiger that claimed a dozen victims is killed
- MFSA gets criticised whether it acts or not, PM says
- SAP Success Factors Consultant (w/m)
- Concierge in exklusiver Wohnimmobilie (m/w/d)
- Watch: 'Yellow vest' protesters battle riot police in Paris, 81 arrested
- Motorbike deaths more than double in a year
- Beikoch/in und Rezeptionist/in mit Praxis
- Migrant rescue ship stranded at sea again
- Fertigungsleiter Zerspanung Wandlerdämpfer (m/w/d)
- Rezeptionist/in mit Erfahrung
- Consultant (w/m/d) Grundsatzabteilung “Professional Practice Group” – Wirtschaftsprüfung
- AD revives proposal for electoral law changes to make all votes count
- Man hurt in Santa Venera traffic accident
- Hostess für SG Chemnitz 06.-07.04.20 gesucht
- Mitarbeiter im Finanzwesen (m/w)
- Watch: 'I have a bullet ready for you' - women's rights activist's regular dose of hate speech
- Breaking Bad: Japan prof 'made students produce ecstasy'
- Servicemitarbeiter / Kellner m/w mit Inkasso
- Jedox Berater / Consultant (m/w/d)
- Bringing flexible payment solutions to small and medium businesses
- EU leaders to look ahead to common future at Sibiu summit
- Blast in Pakistan's Lahore kills at least 3, wounds 15: state media
- Russian bombers, fighters intercepted off Alaska
- Technischer Verkauf im Außendienst (w/m/d)
- Father drove his car at man who allegedly furnished his son with drugs, court told
- Lower emissions across Europe but not in Malta
- Five dead, dozens missing in Uganda landslides: Red Cross
- Serviceberater (m/w/d)
- Rezeptionist (w/m)
- Rezeptionist (m/w) oder HGA (m/w)
- Servicemitarbeiter/in (KellnerIn)
- Anlagenbediener (m/w/d)