European leaders were grudgingly preparing to postpone Brexit on Tuesday, after Prime Minister Theresa May made last-ditch visits to Paris and Berlin to beg for more time.
May asked to be given until June 30 to arrange Britain’s orderly departure, but EU leaders fear that won’t be long enough and are now expected to offer her up to a year.
“There are times when you need to give time,” EU Council president Donald Tusk tweeted, as he issued invitations to an emergency EU summit in Brussels on Wednesday, just days before Britain’s latest departure date.
Summit host Tusk said in his invitation letter that the evidence of recent months gives EU leaders “little reason to believe” that British lawmakers will ratify the Brexit withdrawal treaty before May’s preferred June 30 departure.
“One possibility would be a flexible extension, which would last only as long as necessary and no longer than one year, as beyond that date we will need to decide unanimously on some key European projects,” he said.
Tusk’s suggestion does not bind the other EU leaders to accept the extension plan when they meet on Wednesday, but his ideas chimed with what diplomatic sources were suggesting as May…
- Barkeeper M/W
- Accused first stabbed his aunt then his mother, court hears
- Malta's banking sector reputation 'could be at risk', say Standard & Poors
- Today's front pages - August 2, 2018
- Maltese community in Victoria honour Caruana Galizia with posthumous award
- IS says it carried out mosque bombing
- Karozzin drivers warn outright ban would result in ‘massacre’ of horses
- Prostitutes were employed on a ‘profit-sharing basis’
- World trade system is not perfect and could be reformed - China
- Pope urges 'brothers and sisters' of Mafia to repent
- Inbox of Cultural Superintendence is full; emails being rejected
- Concierge in exklusiver Wohnimmobilie (m/w/d)
- Government, Opposition in claim and counter-claim during power station contract debate
- Politico names Miriam Dalli among the doers in its 28 Class of 2019
- Bauingenieur (m/w) für den Bereich des konstruktiven Ingenieurbaus
- Bauingenieur/Bauingenieurin, Architekt/Architektin techn. Controlling u. Gewährleistungsmanagement
- Firemen battling fire at Sliema apartment
- Watch: Stranded migrants dehydrated, not eating, NGO says, as it defends rescue methods
- Trump storms out of negotiations on border wall
- PN leader calls for a society which better cares for the elderly
- Watch: Marsalforn restaurant forced to close as rubble rains down from construction site
- Tokens that tell a way of life
- (Senior) UI / Interface Designer (w/m/d) für Fintech Unicorn
- Online project to empower people with disability and carers
- US-NKorea summit details to be announced next week: Trump
- Promoter presa nominativi – 18 febbraio Chiasso
- Watch: Migrant mothers, kids refuse to leave German rescue ship
- Competition Act saga: Draft law ‘does not serve its purpose’
- Metallfacharbeiter (m/w/divers)
- Plans to replenish sandy beach at Balluta Bay welcomed
- 'Absurd': Russia shoots down talk of meddling in Maltese elections
- Turkish journalist Ünker's case discussed between Casa, Turkish ambassador
- Host/Hostess für Dresdner Krankenhaus gesucht
- Head of Industrialization & Automation (m/w/d)
- Ramaphosa sworn-in as president of South Africa vowing 'new era'
- Rezeptionist (m/w) Das macht unseren perfekten Kollegen aus: Verantwortung • Empathie • Leidenschaft...
- Teamleiter Master Data Management
- Leitender Barkellner (m/w)
- (Junior) Consultant Innovation & Ventures (m/w/d)