The criminal court is expected to take a decision on Vincent Muscat’s bail after the murder suspect once again appeared in court demanding a release from arrest.
Also known as ‘il-Kohhu’, the 55-year-old, along with brothers Alfred and George Degiorgio, is accused of the murder of Daphne Caruana Galizia on 16 October 2017.
Muscat’s defence lawyer, Arthur Azzopardi, claimed that there were many cases involving murder where the accused was granted bail three months within his or her arraignment.
Azzopardi gave the court a list of accused that did not remain in police custody for more than twenty months — as in the case of his client — since their arraignment and were granted bail notwithstanding the grave nature of their crimes.
“We can’t keep saying that a person has to be remanded in custody since an investigation is still ongoing,” Azzopardi said.
He added that jurisprudence from the European Court of Human Rights agreed with his statements and that according to Maltese law, the limit of how much time one is remanded in preventive custody is 20 months, which had elapsed in his client’s case.
A decision on Muscat’s bail is expected to be taken by the court in the coming days.
- Khashoggi murder not discussed between Malta, Saudi Arabia
- IT LänderbetreuerIn Sales / Service
- Denkmal-, Fassaden- und GebäudereinigerIn
- Kellner/Kellnerin gesucht
- Volljuristen/in (m/w/d)
- Ingenieur (m/w/d) Fachrichtung Maschinenbau, Verfahrens- bzw. Versorgungstechnik oder Elektrotechnik
- Technischer Verkaufsberater (m/w/d) im Innendienst
- Leitung Artwork-Management (m/w/d)
- Free vaccines from family doctor, not just health centres, within coming weeks – Health Minister
- Mexico hit by US tariffs because of illegal immigration
- US doctor charged with killing 25 patients with powerful opioid
- Henley boasts of cash-for-passports scheme in Malta
- Today's front pages - October 13, 2018
- Rezeptionist (m/w) ab Dezember 2019
- Teamleiter (w/m/d) Software Entwicklung Web-Applikationen
- Rezeptionist (m/w) mit Berufserfahrung
- Italian state railways says will bid for Alitalia, other firms back off
- STEUERBERATER (M/W/D)
- Watch: A celebration and a message - Pride March 2019 in full swing in Valletta
- Helena Dalli has no ‘opinion’ on 17 Black
- Rezeptionist (m/w) mit positiver Einstellung
- IT Support Specialist (w/m/x) – Keep calm and help(desk)
- Lokführer/innen Personen- und/oder Cargoverkehr
- Barkellner / Chef de Rang (m/w/d)
- UN says nearly 400 killed by Libya fighting, 50,000 displaced
- New phase of works to start on Great Siege monument
- Kremlin should take the lead on rap music, not shut it down, Putin says
- Man fined €90 for drug possession
- Entwicklungskonstrukteur Elektrotechnik (m/w/d)
- Today's front pages - July 22, 2018
- Britain and EU formally start splitting WTO membership agreements
- KFZ-Techniker (m/w)
- Blast in Pakistan's Lahore kills at least 3, wounds 15: state media