Stephen Carter, the former frontman for the controversial multi-million euro Smart City residential property project, has been charged with money-laundering, fraud and misappropriation.
The land on which this project is being built was originally meant to be used as an IT hub, under a deal signed between the Government of Malta and SmartCity in 2007.
Sources familiar with the case told Times of Malta that the charges related to a 2008 transfer of a property that is suspected to have derived from criminal activity.
Mr Carter, who is fighting the accusations in court, has also been charged with defrauding a Gozitan couple, a source said.
The Shift News first flagged Mr Carter’s troubles after an asset freezing order was published on the FIAU’s website in May.
The charges were filed against Mr Carter on February 23. Just four days later, Mr Carter resigned as a director of Shoreline Residence, which was promoting the Smart City property project.
Shoreline Residence was formerly known as Ricasoli Properties.
His shares in the company were transferred to a fellow investor.
Mr Carter was also a director and shareholder in Shoreline Holdings, the holding company behind the project.
- Britain and EU formally start splitting WTO membership agreements
- US says Russia behind nerve attack in UK, to impose sanctions
- Today's front pages - August 14, 2018
- Prophet Mohammed cartoon plans anger Pakistan
- Man used nude photos to blackmail 15-year-old into sex, court told
- Watch: Search under way for missing diver at Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq
- Trump wanted Syrian president assassinated, new book says
- Millions of Thais sign up to volunteer for the king
- Stop-gap measure for grey bag collection in Gozo
- Three in five worried about adequate pension
- Fiscal watchdog wants better EU fund absorption data
- Woman, 81, seriously injured in Mosta accident
- Watch: 'Yellow vest' protesters battle riot police in Paris, 81 arrested
- Kfz-Mechatroniker (m/w/divers) in Velbert bei der Vergölst GmbH
- UK PM May expected to delay Brexit vote, demand better deal
- STEUERBERATER (M/W/D)
- Top Trump aide says government shutdown may go into New Year
- Watch: 'Do not look away from suffering', President urges in last Christmas message
- Big Data Analyst / Data Scientist (m/f)
- Trump to meet emboldened Democrats in bid to end government shutdown
- Product Manager (w/m) Digital Solutions
- Werkzeugmanager (m/w)
- Bürofachkraft – Rezeptionist / Rezeptionistin
- Angela Merkel's mother has died: government
- Why is the world crying for Paris's Notre-Dame?
- Democratic Party says one of its candidates was assaulted
- Scrum Master / Agile Coach (f/m)
- EMPFANGSMITARBEITER/REZEPTIONIST (m/w) Vollzeit 40 Std
- Sun, sea, sand… then what?
- Chemikant *** / Chemietechniker
- (Senior) Forensic Investigator (w/m/d)
- Big Data Engineer Advanced Analytics (m/w/d)
- Kellnerin für 3mal die Woche Abends 20 St. Die Woche
- Betriebsleiter (m/w)
- Maschinenbautechniker (m/w/x) | 4-Schicht-Betrieb