Police opened fire outside Ukraine’s embassy in London on Saturday after a vehicle rammed into the ambassador’s parked car and then drove at officers called to the scene.
No diplomatic staff were injured in the incident and nor was the suspect, a man in his 40s, but he was taken to hospital as a precaution after being arrested, police said.
The incident, which occurred shortly before 10am and took place in the exclusive Holland Park area, is not being treated as terrorism.
“The official vehicle of the ambassador of Ukraine to the UK was deliberately rammed as it sat parked in front of the embassy of Ukraine’s building,” a statement from the embassy said.
It said police were called and quickly blocked the suspect vehicle, but the driver hit the ambassador’s car again.
“No-one of the embassy staff were injured,” the embassy said.
London’s Metropolitan Police confirmed they were called to reports of a car hitting a number of parked cars near the Ukrainian embassy.
“On arrival at the scene, a vehicle was driven at police officers,” the force said in a statement.
“Police firearms and Taser were discharged, the vehicle was stopped and a man, aged in his 40s, was arrested.
- Chemical plant blast in China kills 19, injures 12
- Malta, Italy, in fresh tussle over migrants
- No further action by PA at sealed Qormi cow farm
- Qawra primary school delayed by another year
- US judge blocks Texas fetal tissue burial laws
- Watch: 'Come walk with us,' Delia urges at Independence event
- Release NGO rescue craft at once, MEP delegation tells government
- Fr Charles Fenech acquitted of having sexually abused a woman
- Today's front pages - September 25, 2018
- PA ignores objections and approves minister’s pool
- Henley boasts of cash-for-passports scheme in Malta
- Stan Lee, creator of Spider-Man and other Marvel superheroes, dead at 95
- Praktikant/in im Bereich Marketingkommunikation
- Beware fake news, Archbishop warns
- World leaders back WTO reform ahead of Trump-Xi talks
- Shopverkäufer (m/w)
- Great Siege Monument restoration works completed
- Brexit could be good news for Maltese translators
- Teamleiter/-in E-Learning
- Guatemalan boy dies after being detained by US border agents
- Sliema structure stokes local council’s ire
- Big Data Analyst / Data Scientist (m/f)
- Rezeptionist/in für Hotelrezeption
- 'I drank a bottle of vodka and tied a hangman’s noose'
- Adecco Certified Recruiter – Deutschschweiz
- Office for special inquiring magistrate focused on corruption needed
- Rezeptionist / Rezeptionistin
- V18 Foundation spent over €40,000 on parties, alcohol in eight months
- Fahrer / Fahrzeugreiniger (m/w/d) in Teilzeit und Vollzeit
- Java Software Engineer (m/w) für eine innovative MES-Softwarelösung – im Industrie 4.0-Umfeld
- Degiorgio brothers granted bail in money laundering case, but will remain behind bars
- First pictures inside - Surprise as most of Notre Dame structure survives huge fire
- Wooden gazebo within Funky Monkey catches fire