PN head of delegation David Casa met with Turkish Ambassador Kerem Kiratli to discuss the case of investigative journalist Pelin Ünker and the deteriorating state of media freedom in Turkey.
Ms Ünker is facing multiple cases against her following her reports on the Paradise Papers. The charges were dropped in one case but a 13-month jail sentence still hung over her head.
“The charges in this case must also be dropped”, Mr Casa said.
He presented the ambassador with a declaration signed by MEPs from across the political spectrum calling for the charges against Ms Ünker to be dropped and for Turkey to respect the European Convention of Human Rights.
“I have brought the serious concerns of members of the European Parliament to the attention of the ambassador and I have been assured that our concerns were noted,” Mr Casa said.
Mr Casa visited Ms Ünker in Istanbul earlier in the year where he met with her legal team and representatives of organisations working to protect investigative journalists in the country. Ms Ünker also visited Malta as Mr Casa’s guest and addressed the vigil in honour of Daphne Caruana Galizia.
Mr Casa and the ambassador also discussed a number of issues on…
- Commis de Bar
- Haustechniker M/W
- Appoġġ saw to more than 11,500 cases last year
- Calmer winds help firefighters battling deadly California blaze
- Slimeless beaches not guaranteed, fish farm representative says
- Watch: Men in brutal fight using construction tools
- Adults have one to two alcoholic drinks a day
- Admits to anti-police hate speech on Facebook, gets bail
- Republicans plan to confirm Kavanaugh on weekend
- Dementia patients to get weekly dog-petting sessions
- Tiger that claimed a dozen victims is killed
- Twelve killed in Sicily as storms cause landslides and floods
- Rezeptionist (m/w) mit Berufserfahrung
- Kommunikationsstarke Quereinsteiger (m/w) für internationale Personalberatung
- Junior Vertriebsmitarbeiter/in
- Projektleiter Maschinenbau (m/w/d)
- PRIVATKUNDEN-BEZIRKSLEITER / PRIVATKUNDEN-BEZIRKSLEITERIN Versicherung / Bankenvertrieb
- PN may lack financial strength but has determination - Delia
- Entwickler*in Multi Sensor Lokalisierung und Mapping für Automatisierte Trucks
- Watch: Not voting is a vote for Labour, Delia tells PN supporters
- IT LänderbetreuerIn Sales / Service
- Office for special inquiring magistrate focused on corruption needed
- Rezeptionist (m/w) ab Mai 2019
- Rescued Sea Watch migrants to dock in Italy after deal reached: Italian PM
- 'It wasn't me' - Governor now denies appearance in racist photo, refuses to resign
- Malta's freedom ranking falls due to ‘ineffective institutions'
- Hungary's Orban urges voters to defend 'Christian' nations against immigration
- Selbstständige Filialleiter/Geschäftsführer (m/w/d) Beautyinstitut / Haarentfernung
- Barman für Hotelbar
- Italian man with suspected mafia links can be named, court rules
- New entrant Biden surges in 2020 Democrat race
- EU leaders sideline euro divisions at summit on future
- Russian bombers, fighters intercepted off Alaska
- Oberkellner -/ Gourmetrestaurant “Kilian Stuba” (m/w/d)
- Rôtisseur, KellnerIn, Chef de Rang, Barkeeper
- Technisch versierter Area Sales Manager / Gebietsverkaufsleiter (w/m/d)
- Teamleiter Controlling (m/w/d)
- Facility Manager (m/w/d)