Updated at 11.39pm
Forty-one people are believed to have died after a Russian passenger plane made an emergency landing at Moscow’s busiest airport and caught fire, investigators said on Sunday.
“There were 78 people including crew members on board the plane,” the Investigative Committee said in a statement. “According to the updated info which the investigation has as of now, 37 people survived.”
Dramatic footage shared on social media showed the Russian Aeroflot-owned aircraft, flames and black smoke pouring from its fuselage, land at Sheremetyevo international airport.
Passengers could be seen leaping onto an inflatable slide at the front and running from the blazing plane as huge black columns of smoke billowed into the sky.
The Russian-made Sukhoi Superjet-100 carrying 73 passengers and five crew members had just left Sheremetyevo on a domestic route when the crew issued a distress signal, officials said.
“Flight Su-1492 took off on schedule at 6:02 pm (15H02 GMT),” said a statement from the airport.
“After the take-off, the crew reported an anomaly and decided to come back to the departure airport. At 6:30 pm, the aircraft made an emergency landing,” it added.
- We suspect arson, Greek minister says of wildfire
- Trump: I could 'shut down' government if Democrats don't fund border wall
- Postpone autumn hunting season to mid-October, activists say
- Open-top bus tragedy ‘seems now forgotten’
- Quad bike rider seriously injured in Coast Road accident
- Two million risk hunger after drought in Central America - UN
- Live: 'Character assassination on Adrian Delia' - Clyde Puli
- Lands Authority CEO disclosed business interests day after newspaper's questions
- Comino Tower turns 400, and still going strong
- PA ignores objections and approves minister’s pool
- On traffic management, students and I are on same page, says university rector
- Drop the call for Times of Malta to reveal source, international body tells MFSA
- White flag fraud claims: Herrera says he was not defrauded
- New mesh nets used by trappers ‘a form of animal cruelty’, court says
- Bürokaufmann (w/m/d) im Anzeigenmanagement
- Prüfungsassistent / in
- PN leader calls for a society which better cares for the elderly
- Globigerina limestone receives global recognition
- REZEPTIONIST/IN Dentalklinik
- SAP BasisarchitektIn für Cloud Services
- Rezeptionist (m/w) ab Mai 2019
- Online project to empower people with disability and carers
- Vertriebsingenieur (m/w/d) für Quereinstieg in die Industrieberatung
- Angela Merkel's mother has died: government
- Young woman dies in traffic accident
- Junior Merchandise Planner JOOP (w/m)
- DevOps / Site Reliability Engineer OpenShift (m/w/d)
- Scrum Master / Agile Coach (f/m)
- Werkstattmitarbeiter / Monteur Land- , Baumaschinen-, Kfz -mechaniker
- Three migrants drown off Tunisian coast, dozens missing
- Rezeptionist (m/w) oder HGA (m/w)
- Mitarbeiter Konsolidierung (m/w/x) Corporate Accountant / Konzernkonsolidierung / Konzernrechnungswe...
- Ferienjob in Potsdam | Hostessen
- Maschinenbautechniker (m/w/x) | 4-Schicht-Betrieb